THE DECISION: Now that you have decided to quit, you need a plan to achieve your goal. One of the more convenient ways is to slowly decrease the amount of nicotine you ingest every day. You can do this by no longer smoking and by using a nicotine supplement to conquer the craving that nicotine causes. If you reduce the amount of supplemental nicotine a little bit each day, soon you will be smoke free and nicotine free.
ALTERNATIVES: There are a variety of nicotine sources that are designed to help you reduce your craving for nicotine. There are sprays, gums and patches. The idea is fine but there is something lacking in their approach - what to do with your hands! An important part of the cigarette smoking addiction is the hand-to-mouth action of lifting the cigarette to your lips. The nicotine lollipop not only offers nicotine to help stop your craving for nicotine - it also meets that all-important hand-to-mouth action.
USING NICOTINE LOLLIPOPS: The general instructions for using a nicotine lollipop is to place one in your mouth when the urge to smoke strikes. This urge is a combination of psychological factors and a chemical dependence on the nicotine. Within a few minutes after placing the nicotine lollipop in your mouth you will feel a mild tingling, that’s the nicotine being released from the sugar-free candy base. It doesn’t taste like a piece of candy - on purpose. The flavor helps mask the taste of the nicotine but it is not intended to make the nicotine pleasant.
Each order for nicotine lollipops comes with a piece of LOLLIPOP LUGGAGE - actually a plastic vial with a hole drilled in the cap. Shortly after you begin using the nicotine lollipop you will find that the urge to smoke - the craving for nicotine - has passed. This is when you remove it from your mouth and place it in the luggage - where it will stay clean and ready to use again the next time you want a cigarette.
KEEPING RECORDS IS IMPORTANT: We suggest that you follow this routine for two or three days - using the lollipop every time you have the urge for a cigarette. Keep a record of how many times you used the lollipop and how many you used each day. This is your baseline usage amount.
- Record your baseline amount on the record sheet. Use our Quitting Smoking Schedule Chart for just this purpose.
- Now, set a plan for the next three days. **We suggest you decide to reduce the number of times you use a nicotine lollipop in a day. If you found that you used the lollipop 16 times in one day and that you used 4 nicotine lollipops, then try to cut 10% off the number of uses. Instead of 16 times, go for 14 (16-2). Still allow yourself the full number of nicotine lollipops for the day - but don’t use all of them. You should have a small amount left over each day.
- After about three days at this level, cut back another 10%. Repeat this plan until you have eliminated one full nicotine lollipop from your daily amount.
- Repeat the process - reduce the number of cigarette breaks first, then remove one nicotine lollipop from your daily amount.
- Take it slow - cutting your usage by 10% every 3 days or so.
- During this time - do not even think about smoking a cigarette. There will be rough times but stick with your plan. It may take a month or so - depending on how heavy a smoker you have become.
- Keep a record - write down every break and the total number of nicotine lollipops you use.